I haven’t posted much filthy dubstep on here, but this song starts with a really enchanted tribal sound then drops into a filthy dubby beat @ 1:50. Both parts are excellent.
• Modestep – Exile √++
…and some follow up dirty dubstep from Rusko.
• Rusko – Hold On ft. Amber Coffman (Sub Focus Remix) √++ (crazy grind/wobble)
Going back to the 90’s with this track, Wiley spits over White Town’s “Your Woman” while Hervé drops a nice grimy downtempo beat to pull it all together.
• Wiley – Never Be Your Woman (feat. Emeli Sande) [Hervé Rework] √++
Deadmau5 is back with a new progressive house track with a similar sound to his other hit “Moar Ghosts ‘n’ Stuff“.
• Deadmau5 – Some Chords (Original Mix)
I meant to press this one a while back. Designer Drugs brings us another “ambitious club banger” with an interesting video to match (perfectly), plus they’re playing at UCSD’s Sun God Festival!
• Designer Drugs – Drop Down (heavy)
I came across this the other night – always diggin’ on CLASSIXX. Treasure Fingers add a bit more rat-tat-tat to the remix and a touch of jazz piano in the background.
• CLASSIXX – I’ll Get You (Treasure Fingers Remix)
This next track is one of Calvin Harris’ more recent singles (although it’s nothing new in blog time). It has a nice deep bass line and a catchy chorus but it can get a little repetitive after a while. Nero provides a more calm approach while Laidback Luke’s mix is a bit more synth intensive.
• Calvin Harris – You Used To Hold Me
• Calvin Harris – You Used To Hold Me (Laidback Luke Remix)
• Calvin Harris – You Used To Hold Me (Nero Remix)
Some cool drum ‘n’ bass trance.
• BT – Godspeed (Hybrid Remix)
Brooklyn based Chimp Beams is an downtempo, electronic dub trio formed in 2001 by three Japanese men. It’s a rather dreamy CD, the first half is pretty solid while the rest becomes very downtempo/ambient, almost too much. Their music is a mixture of dub, breakbeats, jazz, and techno (you try classifying it!).
CD Highlights: “Menina”, “Brooklyn Dub”, and “Sleeptalking”
• Chimp Beams – Menina (Full CD) [93MB]